Wednesday 30 September 2015

Tunnel Vision

Last week we went on one of our regular routes, and it occurred to me that if I wasn't careful I could spend all my time looking closely at the shrubs and ground cover instead of the bigger picture. So in favour of balance, have a lovely picture of part of our walk.
I don't always forage on my walks. Sometimes the walk is enough, although usually I do have a bag in my pocket 'just in case'. I find it difficult to walk past without picking. The thought of something going to waste 'bothers my nose' as Mum would say!

Fat sloes
 Even when not actively picking, I've always got my eye on what's coming up. Further along this path, at the end of the tunnel where there is more light, the blackthorn bushes are smothered - or as we'd say 'snided'- in sloes.
Ideally we'd wait to pick them until after the first frost, but my fingers are twitching - and I do have a freezer. I must resist - there is a lot of other fruit in need of picking first!

No comments:

Post a Comment